|Position||Animal Care, Director|
|Supervises||Clinical and Care Staff and Volunteers|
|Job Classification||Full time, salaried|
|Pay Range||$30,000 to $52,000|
Works with CEO, staff, Greater Huntsville Humane Society (GHHS) Board of Directors, and Animal Care Committee to develop and implement GHHS policies related to animal care and treatment, animal handling, as well as adoption and fostering processes.
Follows governmental and other regulatory requirements.
Leads the animal care function by directing work of the clinical and animal care staff as well as supervising, coaching, collaborating, and educating staff, applicable Board members, and volunteers to effectively and efficiently ensure proper care for animals in our care.
- Supervises clinical and care staff; develops and maintains proper protocols for animal care that align with industry standards.
- Provides leadership, mentoring, opportunities for professional development, and progressive discipline if needed to clinical and animal care staff members who are a part of the overall Animal Care team
- Documents, maintains, and delivers training (as needed) and supervision for Adoption Counselors.
- Assists with managing and expanding the Foster Program in collaboration with the Foster Coordinator and the Volunteer Coordinator.
- Supports front desk activities and direct contact with the public as needed including assisting with adoptions, conducting/coordinating tours of the shelter, addressing problematic situations, and so on.
- Maintains the firstname.lastname@example.org email account (in conjunction with petfinder.com, shelter software, adoptapet.com, and others) to assure prompt online responses regarding surrender or adoption of animals and general requests for information acting as the primary point of contact with the public regarding questions animal care.
- Addresses concerns and complaints from the public, volunteers, and/or the staff related to the care and treatment of animals in the care of GHHS.
- Responsible for maintenance, upkeep, and repair of shelter, kennels, and clinic.
- Provides input to CEO regarding animal care and the shelter maintenance portion of the annual budget.
- Seeks to reduces costs where possible while maintaining the highest quality of care.
- Serves as the Staff Liaison to the GHHS Board, Animal Care Committee.
- Maintains awareness of industry standards and innovations through publications, continuing education, contact with persons of equivalent positions in similar organizations and communicates such information to CEO, staff, Animal Care Committee, and Board of Directors (as appropriate).
- Builds relationships with other shelters, rescues, and animal welfare organizations that will enable partnering (as appropriate) and the sharing of best practices in order to further the GHHS mission.
- Coordinates Hot DogZ Transport program with guidance from CEO.
- Coordinates and participates in special projects.
- Trains and works with volunteers (groups and individuals) in partnership with the GHHS Volunteer Coordinator.
- Performs other duties as requested.
- Associate’s degree or higher preferably in Animal Science or a related field.
- Extensive work experience in the field of animal care.
- Minimum five years of management experience.
- Computer skills including office applications and experience with animal care software.
- Awareness of governmental and regulatory requirements regarding the care and treatment of animals.
- Ability to apply sound judgment and diplomacy.
- Demonstrates problem solving skills and is able to implement win-win solutions.
- Passion for animal care and welfare.
- Collaborative management style.
- Willingness to accept change and look for continuous improvement opportunities.
- Bachelor’s degree in relevant field
- Licensed Veterinary Technician
- Three years of veterinary clinic, animal shelter, or related field experience specifically in handling, medicating, restraining and caring for animals