Manages the GHHS Volunteer Program. Develops and maintains volunteer guidelines, materials and procedures. Supervises and coordinates GHHS volunteers for events that educate the public on the importance of our mission and teaches good animal care. Values volunteers and works to make them feel wanted and appreciated.
Position: Volunteer & Community Outreach Coordinator
Reports to: Director of Advancement
Compensation Category: Hourly, part-time
Pay Range: $12.00 per hour and up
- Recruits, motivates, trains, and supervises volunteers
- Develops and maintains volunteer guidelines, materials, and procedures
- Organizes and conducts volunteer orientation(s) including an overview of GHHS programs as well as policies and procedures
- Pairs experienced volunteers with new volunteers as mentors
- Schedules volunteers for work shifts: receptionists, dog walkers, socialization of animals, event volunteers, etc.
- Coordinates with the Director of Animal Care and the Foster Coordinator to support the Foster Care Program
- Works with staff to identify volunteer needs, projects, and duties
- Develops volunteer job descriptions and ensures timely and accurate descriptions of it on the GHHS website
- Utilizes appropriate software programs to record volunteer time and contact information
- Provides monthly report of volunteer time and program statistics to CEO
- Coordinates and recruits volunteer support for outreach programs like special events, fundraisers, public relations, and educational programs; responsible for King’s Community Kitchen, Pet Wellness Clinic and Lucky Dog humane education program
- Over-sees and implements volunteer recognition, appreciation, and motivational activities
- Understands the basic operations of the dog kennel/cat areas to train new volunteers
- Resolve volunteer problems, reassign volunteers, or terminate volunteers if not appropriate for the organization or task at hand
- Maintains awareness of industry standards and innovations through publications, attendance of seminars, contact with persons of equivalent positions in similar organizations and other educational opportunities
- Other duties as assigned
BS in relevant field preferred, with three-years of experience in conducting a volunteer program for non-profits. Ability to develop and maintain relationships with lots of different people. Strong interpersonal skills, including the ability to work in a fast paced environment with grace and good humor. Good organizational skills and ability to be self-motivated. Ability to train and develop team members, solve problems with good judgment and delegate responsibility.