Responsible for maintaining overall cleanliness and efficiency of the entire facility; responsible for care of all animals in the facility and following policies and procedures. Supervisor of Animal Care Staff, under direction from the Clinic Manager & Director of Animal Care, as well as Animal Care volunteers. Responsible for providing enrichment, basic training, and behavioral analysis of animals in our care. Responsible for handling and managing our transport program (HHOT Dogz) with guidance from the Director of Animal Care. Responsible for the Foster Program.
- Coordinate and supervise the kennel activities including, but not necessarily limited to, cleaning, feeding, watering, environmental comfort and enrichment, maintenance.
- Develop and maintain team morale by empowering the animal care staff and engaging with volunteers—supervise and direct the work and attitude of animal care staff with direction and guidance from the Director of Animal Care.
- Responsible for ensuring outdoor dog areas are clean, free of feces, debris, and all outdoor supplies (crates, rakes, tarps, etc.) are inventoried and organized.
- Requests to order supplies through Clinic Manager & Director of Animal Care.
- Responsible for maintaining oversight of cleanliness and efficiency of the entire facility, and coordinates with animal care staff and volunteers on daily cleaning duties including, but not necessarily limited to, laundry, food and water bowls, litter boxes, puppy pads, kennels, etc.
- Communicates with the Clinic Manager about the health of the pets in our care.
- Communicates health concerns or observed symptoms of illness/injury to the Clinic Manager who will then communicate to the Director of Animal Care should the illness/injury require additional attention or treatment.
- Direct and maintain safety standards by following proper guidelines to protect the staff, volunteers, the public, and the animals in our care.
- Responsible for enforcing protocols and/or changes and ensures that animal care staff and volunteers follow procedures and policies.
- Responsible for training new Animal Care staff and volunteers on protocols, policies, and procedures.
- Together with the Director of Animal Care and the Clinic Manager, the Animal Care Lead will coordinate a monthly meeting with animal care staff to go over any organizational changes, protocol changes, and to discuss any current issues.
- Keeps Director of Animal Care & Clinic Manager updated on the temperament changes of pets in our care.
- Keeps Director of Animal Care & Clinic Manager updated on the Animal Care staff.
- Ensures animal care supplies stay updated, in working order, cleaned/sanitized where applicable, and fully stocked.
- Keeps up to date with industry standards and publications.
- Conducts adoptions and coordinates staff and volunteers to move potential adopters professionally through the shelter.
- Participate in periodic evaluations and progressive discipline as needed by subordinate staff.
- Responsible for assisting Director of Animal Care and the Clinic Manager with duties pertaining to animal care including, but not limited to, transporting animals to appointments with veterinarians, events, adoption events, etc.
- Manage the foster program, keep up with foster appointments, coordinate fosters with transports, assign and maintain foster liaisons with correct and up to date information, and acquire and keep fosters.
- Manage externs/interns form different organizations with the help of Clinic manager.
- Performs other duties as directed by supervisor(s).
High school or General Education Degree (GED) required, relevant degree preferred. Three years of experience related directly to animal care. Management experience preferred. Must be comfortable and willing to interact with the public, fosters, adopters, volunteers, etc. Must possess a strong work ethic and positive attitude. Must be a team player.